Spike Lee Blasts “Django Unchained” Says He Will Boycott The Film

Filed under: Random Shyt |

tarantinosplit-webBy: Victor “Doc V” Trammell

Director Spike Lee is known not to bite his tongue. The outspoken 55-year-old film maker has levied his criticism against Tyler Perry for what he calls stereotypical film making on Perry’s part. Lee is known for producing and directing films that make you think. The riveting “Malcolm X” (starring Denzel Washington) gave a great cinematic look into one of America’s greatest civil rights leaders.

According to the New York Post, Spike Lee has chosen a new film maker to level his analytical critique against; Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino’s new film, “Django Unchained” hit theatres tomorrow. However, Lee insists that he won’t be standing in line to see a movie that he deems to be derogatory of slavery. Spike took to Twitter to express his distaste for the film. He wrote:

American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust.  My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them.” (Spike Lee’s Twitter)

Spike Lee made the tweet after a Vibe TV interview where he wouldn’t answer questions about the film because he didn’t plan on seeing it. In the video interview Lee said:

“I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. I’m not seeing it. “All I’m going to say is that it’s disrespectful to my ancestors to see that  film. That’s the only thing I’m gonna say,” he explained. “I can’t disrespect my  ancestors. I can’t do it. Now, that’s me. I’m not speaking on behalf of anybody  but myself. I can’t do it.” (Vibe TV)

Lee also made a strong comment on Twitter against a person calling themselves “Rogue Academic.” They wrote the following in response to Lee’s original tweet:

“The goal of the holocaust was death and destruction; the goal of American  slavery was tobacco, indigo, rice, and cotton.”

Lee quickly fired back and wrote:

Like Slaves Didn’t Die? What Kind Of Academic Are You? And George Washington  Didn’t Own Slaves Too?”

This isn’t the first time Spike Lee has fired off against Quentin Tarantino. He criticized the 49-year-old film maker for his repeated use of the n-word in his film “Pulp Fiction.”

10 Responses to Spike Lee Blasts “Django Unchained” Says He Will Boycott The Film

1. I agree with spike lee ,i won,t be going to see it.I was never a fan of quentin tarantinos work to begin with solely for the fact of his explicit use of the N word.Its bad enough hearing these stupid ass rappers bandying the word about like its out of style,i,m not going to pay money to sit in a movie theatre to hear the n word spouting about all over the place and watch black celebs suporting it.

marcus davis
    December 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

2. When it comes to using the N-word, black ppl need to stop being such hypocrites. We use and misuse that negative term on each other all day every day.

BigWill
    December 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

3. I think Spike Lee is being harsh and unfair on his criticism of the movie “Django”. It is no worse then the movies that he directed in then 70’s and there about. He produced “black” movies that portrayed African-Americans as dope heads, dope dealers and namely “court jesters”. Yet that was all we had during that time. It gave us jobs. I appreciate that. He exaggerated on the movie “Malcolm”, but it was still entertaining. And movies, like “He Got Game”. How exasperating was that. Not based on total truth. “Django” is basically not totally true, but since I was not born in that era of time, but read alot about slavery, I would bet a lot of the movie depicts more truth than fiction. Slavery was not a good era of time. Everyone was taking advantage or being taken dvantage of. I really think Spike Lee is jealous of Tyler Perry’s involvement in this production. He critizes all of Perry’s films. Just remember when Spike Lee was on top, he was the only game in town. Now there are other Black producers, film writwes and directors in the mix. Let the movie be seen. It is good for the economy. It is good for Jamie Foxx and good for Perry. Spike Lee once wrote that Perry was not doing movies of any substance. Well, I think Perry is trying and doing well at it. You have to come up to the table and compete now, Mr. Lee.

S McVea
    December 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

4. Spike has a right to his opinions but he is not doing anything to counteract his criticism. Maybe he should write, produce and direct a movie that speaks to his sensibilities. Or maybe, just go see the movie.

Spike Lee seems to criticize many other artists yet he does not seem to have an alternative. I loved the movie. It dealt with slavery’s brutality and yes, I love westerns so it was interesting and entertaining to see a black man saving his wife. The brother was the hero and it felt good to see Foxx in that role.

As for the n-word (I hate that term), most of Tarantino’s characters who use the word would not be the types to NOT use the word. It is a matter of choice and taste.

Miss John
    December 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

5. I do have plans to go see Django Unchained. However, I am certainly aware that slavery was a horrific condition – and should not be taken lightly. Spike Lee actually did not “BLAST” the movie. The individual who wrote this article/statement used the word, blast as a description of Spike’s comment. Lee’s words were/are FAR from a blast…the user of the word, blast did a great job of attracting people to his/her piece. I wish I would have not been pulled in by the journalistic tactic. Anyway, Spike Lee has decided to not view the film based on his beliefs of what he thinks the movie will portray. That’s his prerogative. And, finally, if the writer of this piece above is black he/she should know better…what he/she has done is created an environment that promotes discord among black people. Shameful!

Muata Nowe
    December 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm

6. I love both these directors. Although Spike Lee, I believe is being over critical. Tarentino has a unique approach to his film making. I don’t think he’s trying to candy-coat slavery at all. Nor is he trying to create a documentary piece. There is no deep thinking about what is happening in this movie. It’s a “guy gets girl” story that takes place in the context of American slavery.

Tarentino’s films are always about entertainment with a violent flare. DJango isn’t your typical “Chitilans circuit” performance. It’s these actors who will establish this film as being worthy. And I trust in there professionalism that this story was worth creating and worth viewing. Frankly, I suspect that Spike is jealous because he hadn’t thought of this idea first. Stand down Spike, Tarentino is just as cool as any brother I know.

Smitty
    December 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

7. This is a Fictional Characterization of a particular time in American, and African American HISTORY!

“FICTIONAL”, means that it, “is not true”, it is, “IMAGINATION”!

“YOU”, have heard reports of this film, and based on the reports that you have heard, “YOU”, have feelings, which SHOULD determine if you will see it or not! Would you deliberately put yourself in position to be, “DISTURBED”?

Personally, I do not intend to see this Film!

Chris Arnett
    January 1, 2013 at 11:57 pm

• Your loss Chris, I just saw it and I see Jamie Fox getting another Oscar soon.

Sharon 'Shazz' Nembhard